Product attributes let you add product customisations. Variables that influence attributes could include colour, size, size, and pattern, just to name a few.
Unlike product options, product attributes normally involve choices with no impact on price.
Adding product attributes to a catalogue is a two-step process:
- create a list of choices on the Product attributes page
- link choices on the Product details page
This article shows you a simple yet effective way to create a product with multiple variations based on different attributes.
- Create a Product attribute category.
- Add each product attribute to the category.
In this scenario, we offer three kinds of espresso cups (all at the same price) in an online coffee store.
- Go to the Upmind dashboard.
- Click Settings.
- Click the Products & Services tile.
- On the Product catalogue page, click the Product attributes menu tab.
The next step is to create a category. Like a folder, a category holds one or more related product attributes. If you plan on offering variations now, or in the near future, creating multiple categories for groups of related products is a time-saving approach.
- Click the Add New button.
- Select Product attributes category.
- Check the box if you want to create a subcategory. (optional)
- On the next screen, enter a unique category name.
- Add a description. (optional) The information on this page is for internal use. Customers do not have access to this information
- Check the box to allow customers to purchase multiple options at the same time. (optional) The default is No, which is an unchecked box.
- Click the Create button. Upmind creates a category with zero product attributes.
Now it’s time to add choices.
- Locate your Product attribute category.
- Click the three-dot icon.
- Select Add product attribute.
- Verify the category name. Use the drop-down menu to change the category. (optional)
- Leave the boxes checked (the default setting) to keep the product attribute visible to staff and customers.
- Add a product name and description. Customers can see this text on the product options page.
- Click the Create button.
- Repeat steps to add product attributes to the category.
- Click the Product attributes menu tab and select a category. The page displays the attributes inside the category.
- Click the three-dot icon to edit or delete a product attribute.
The next step is to link product attributes to an existing product on the Product details page.
- Click the Products & bundle menu tab.
- Expand a category.
- Select a product.
In this example, we add three product attributes (espresso cups with different colours) to Espresso cups (a subcategory of Accessories).
- Click the three-dot icon and select Edit.
- Click the Product attributes menu link.
- Click the Manage button.
- Click the category which has the attributes you want to add.
- Check the box next to each product attribute you want to display.
- Click Save at the bottom of the page.
- Upmind displays the attributes on the page.
- Click Manage to edit an attribute.
- Click the red circle to remove an attribute from the page.
When the customer clicks through to the espresso cup product page, the store displays three options. In the example below, there are espresso cup options.
On the Basket page, the customer clicks:
- Details to see the product attribute for this purchase
- Edit to select a different product attribute
Updated about 2 years ago